The last week of January is shaping up to be a busy one for tech events in the city.
An Evening With Alan Juristovski and Milun Tesovic, Founders Of MetroLeap Media hosted by VEF
- Tuesday, January 25th
- Vancity Theatre, 1181 Seymour St., Vancouver
- Free for members. $45 for non-members.
Tech Startup Co-Founder Speed Dating hosted by Foliomob
- Tuesday, January 25th
- Ceili’s Irish Pub, 670 Smithe St., Vancouver
Social Marketing Kung-Fu, White belt with Dave Olson hosted by Bootup
- Wednesday, January 26th
- Bootup Garage, Suite 200 – 163 West Hastings St., Vancouver
Tim Bray of Google presents the latest on Android and the Android Market hosted by airG
- Thursday, January 27th
- Wavefront Conference Centre, 1055 West Hastings St. (Lower Level), Vancouver
The big news in funding in Canada this week is the official announcement of the launch of Rogers Ventures. You can read long posts at StartupNorth and Techvibes which go into more detail.
Mike Lee, the VP of New Ventures at Rogers, will be presenting at DemoCamp 9. You’ll get an opportunity to hear what Rogers’ plans are to work with and support tech ecosystems across the country, and what their investment plans are. I’m hoping for a lively Q&A as well.
The second featured presentation will be Tim Bray. Tim is a technologist with a long history of being involved in interesting things. Although he’s based in Vancouver, he spends a lot of his time traveling and presenting around the world.
The presenting companies have been selected and are as follows:
- Recotype – Recotype is an open framework for requesting and receiving recommendations on Twitter
- Yummy Republic – a wireless platform to link take-out restaurants with internet to enable them receive online orders and send back confirmation to customer instantly. YummyRepublic includes bespoke GPRS terminals, and several servers to control those terminals.
- Troovy – a web and mobile-based local discovery platform. Users find recommended places and people based on their own travel and feedback patterns.
- Deets.me – cloudy contacts
- Layerboom – Layerboom provides hosting companies with a comprehensive software
platform which gives them the ability to turn their dedicated servers into virtual private server clouds.
In other news, after we made the call for people to help with DemoCamp, Vince Hodges of Sourdough Labs / Chipped.In / Pennyminder stepped up and said that he is going to help. Thanks, Vince!
Anyone else want to help plan / produce / source startups for DemoCamp? Leave a comment, we’ll do the next one in late November.