For most startups, user experience is considered a luxury rather than a necessity. Many of us are just trying to get our product/site out there fast and plan to focus on design and user experience when we have more resources. But everyone from startup superheroes Eric Ries and Paul Graham to Dave McClure will tell you that UX is incredibly important and startups should be thinking about it from day 1:
“It’s very important in the first phase [of Y Combinator], perhaps more important than anything else. We encourage startups to build the smallest thing they can as fast as they can and then get it in front of users immediately to test whether they like it.” – Paul Graham on UX .
“Design and marketing aren’t just as important as engineering: They are way more important.” – Dave McClure on the Value of Design.
We have hosted talks and workshops on everything from lean startup methodology to term sheet negotiations but we have yet to cover the importance of UX from the get go. So, I approached one of the best people in the biz, Mike Macadaan- the current VP of UX & Design at MySpace and asked him to come speak in Vancouver.
Mike Macadaan with team and new MySpace logo
Knowing that Mike has spent the last year Redesigning MySpace, I thought it would be a perfect time for him to come to Vancouver to share his recent UX challenges and experiences, as well as what he has learned over the past 10 years. On top of his experience, Mike is an all around good guy, who is very plugged in to the tech and startup communities in SF & LA. Some of you may remember that Mike visited us once before when we co-hosted our second Launch Party event together, Launch Party with a Twiist in December 2007.
Few Tickets Left
Whether you are an Internet entrepreneur, investor, designer, product marketer, or a web developer- you should not miss what is sure to be a very informative and fun talk on December 1, 2010 at 9am-12pm at Bootup HQ, 163 West Hastings – Suite 200. There are still some spots left, so scoop one up now.
All was atwitter last week in Vancouver as some of the best Internet entrepreneurs, influencers and investors flocked to our beautiful city from across Canada and Silicon Valley for the highly anticipated, first annual Grow Conference.
Here’s a little sample of funny, inspiring and thankful tweets and “overheards” at the conference, around town and in the Bootup Labs office:
- ellenlevy: nice to be back in Vancouver for the Grow 2010 Conference… last time I was here I was running the Vancouver marathon! #in
- ericries: Feels like everyone I know is in Canada. Congrats #Grow “@danmartell: serious freakin’ #startup talent in this room http://yfrog.com/nekp6aj
- RobHayes: Headed to #GROWconf up in Vancouver. Can’t wait to get me some Tim Horton’s and a Molsen Canadian #broughtmytoque
- tconrad: Vancouver is amazing — beautiful, clean, incredible setting. Met 100 inspiring Canadian entrepreneurs yesterday.
- MayorGregor: potent morning @ grow conference. 450+ all stars in tech+finance. silicon valley #vancouver mashup#growconf
- chrisarsenault: OH: @davemcclure to entrepreneurs: if you don’t feel “out of control” you aren’t going fast enough #growconf
- jtoeman: Quantity of ipads at @growconf is astounding. Even for a tech conference it’s high.
- barbie_t: The 2 rules from Lane Becker: #1 startups are hard, #2 nobody knows anything. Follow your own vision at the end of the day. #GrowConf
- brian_wong: At #growconf – phenomenal day so far. Great to catch up with everyone!
- kevin_swan: It’s not about accepting failing, it’s about not fearing failure – Lane Becker #growconf
- robinaxon : 24 hours into the conf and the energy is still high. Tom Conrad from Pandora is just taking stage. #growconf
- springad: @tconrad shares that Pandora has no product roadmap. Stays simble and allows them to react to market changes #growconf
- alexcapehart: Maple Leaf Mafia. You heard it here first.#GrowConf (@deblanda, @flowtown)
- sonsryan: building a billion dollar business in 2 years doesn’t accelerate how fast you’ll get through customs.#growconf
- KatrinaCF: @Groupon’s Andrew Mason: “my biggest f**k up was waiting too long to launch”. #growconf #inspiring
- @davemcclure just got the wave going in the conference room at #growconf!!
- kevin_swan: They should put a 30 second delay on this panel with @davemcclure and @superrewardsCEO participating.#fbombs #growconf
- GundersonLaw: awesome weekend @growconf . Many many thanks @deblanda. Top of the food chain event.
- jeff : Back home. #growconf was a blast (congrats @deblanda). Jetlag + conference = beat. Way too many emails to dig in. Good night/week-end y’all!
- bwertz: GROW was probably the best web conference ever organized in Canada – great speakers, very good networking, amazing event venue. #growconf
- chrisalbinson: Awesome #growconf. @debbielanda rocks(-: Fun to see #c100 come north.
OH @growconf after parties and around town:
- foodtree: The @bootuplabs office is BUZZING. If you’re in town stop by for tech talk, wifi, and coffee. (magic combo, right?).
- bmann: I’m not getting much “work” done, but there is a ton of @growconf related networking happening at @bootuplabs. MTL is in the house.
- skanwar: Out @bootuplabs – great conversations with @sonsryan, @summify, @strutta and more. #growconf
- davidcrow: @extremevp I’ve had so much fun with open office hours @bootuplabs @wavefrontac met many companies, must repeat in TO at EVP.
- alkarim: Finding masses of inspiration all in one place.
- kevindahl: Just “put yo weight on it” during slideshow karaoke @bootuplabs. Human centipede not allowed…
- anulman: Thanks again, @bootuplabs! #PPTKgrow was loads of fun. Presents in your fridge.